Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Exorcist



--Reviewed by Lindy Loo


Again, this seems almost silly to review. If I had to pick the scariest movie of all time, this would be it. But, of course, read on! Read on!

Plotline: A young and sweet girl named Regan starts to deteriorate into a foul-mouthed psychotic child and no psychiatrists can figure out why. Her mother must turn to a priest in the hopes of getting her daughter an exorcism.

Scariness factor: As I've said, this is the SCARIEST movie I've had the pleasure of seeing. Last night was probably at least the sixth time I've seen it, and it still scares the crap out of me. It has fantastically creepy special fx, the demon voices will rattle you to your core, and the sheer simplicity of a young and sweet girl calling people cunts and motherfuckers is enough to leave you unsettled.

Originality: This has originality out the ass. At the time it came out in the theaters, it was such a new and scary concept to push this kind of horror so over the top that people literally would be sick in the theater, pass out, run out, etc. That *ROCKS*. And the fact that the movie focuses on an exorcism was also new and original at the time, and scared people into believing again.



Complaints: Absolutely none. I could probably make a preferential case for the original over the new "version you've never seen," but even that is not worth my time and energy. This is a GOOD movie.

High Points: Every damn second of this movie. The acting is fantastic, especially from the young Linda Blair and the two priests. The special fx are HORRIFIC--puke explosions, Regan's flesh rotting away, her levitating off the bed. The movie is so scary because it's so damn convincing and realistic--this is what shocked people's socks off when it came out. And it's actually maintained its scariness over the thirty-two years it's been out--I still know people who refuse to watch it because it scares the crap out of them, and for a movie to transcend time like that (and not lose its scariness decades later) is an impressive impressive feat.

Random Cool Movie Trivia: HERE

Overall: You must see this movie if you haven't.



Grade: A+

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Blogger SnogAsh said...

Maybe it's because I'd heard about this movie all my life (especially being a Catholic) and didn't see it until I was in college, but I wasn't scared at all during this movie. I felt the same way with the Shining- I took too long to see it and it was too built up for me.

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger Magnus Maximus said...

My favorite horror film as well. I always enjoyed the opening sequence in Iraq...even though it seems uneventful, it really is essential exposition and it creates an interesting juxtaposition between the "ancient" world (can't get much more ancient than Tigris-Euphrates!) and the modern world, making the point that evil transcends space and time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home