Monday, October 16, 2006

Cujo


--Reviewed by Lindy Loo


Plotline: Cujo is a big friendly dog, until he gets bit by a rabid bat that is. When Donna and her son stop by the farm where Cujo lives to get their car fixed, they find themselves struggling to survive after the car refuses to start back up and Cujo becomes more and more frenzied.

Scariness factor: So so. Much of the movie is slow-moving, but it becomes at least a wee bit heart-pounding once the action starts going.

Gross-Out Factor: Mauling and fake-blood. Nothing TOO gruesome.

Complaints: Apparently my brain is sluggish today, as I can't really think of any major complaints. And yet I wasn't completely bowled over by this film. Oh, one definite complaint: it would be useful for the mom to learn when is the appropriate time to start using CPR on a child that's stopped breathing--right away, not minutes and minutes later. And of course, about five minutes into the movie, my vegan ass was thinking, uh, WHY did you settle on a horror flick where the dog is inevitably gonna end up getting killed and/or is suffering the whole time anyways. Stupid = me.

High Points: Yes, I am sluggish today. I can't really think of many major high-points either. I guess what this movie most had going for it was the sense of being trapped that the viewer feels as the mom and her son sit roasting in their car.

Overall: I've always wanted to see this movie because it's a Stephen King classic, but I guess I just wasn't nearly as impressed as I'd thought or hope. It's not terrible by any means, but if I want a good Stephen-King-scare, I think I'll aim for The Shining.

Grade: B

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, first of all, I think the same, sometimes it was cool, but it never was really frightening or something.
Did you read the book? OMG, it was soooo gooood. I couldn't sleep three nights after reading it, I had nightmares... and I cried for Cujo, because he WANTED to be a good dog. And I cried for Tadder.
I think Stephen King should stop writing, because after The Dark Tower, he isn't writing a lot of good stuff...
I think he should also supervise the making of his movies, I mean come on, this movie could have been so scary...

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cried THE WHOLE time it was an AMAZEING book Better the IT I must add!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home