Monday, September 22, 2008

Infection (Kansen)


--Reviewed by Lindy Loo


Plotline: In a small Japanese hospital that is going bankrupt, a horribly understaffed set of doctors and nurses accidentally kill a patient. Simultaneously, another patient that's suffering a horrifying infection is left at the hospital despite the staff insisting he be removed. His infection is an airborne infection and quickly begins to spread among the staff.

Scariness factor: Holy crap. This movie is creepy as FUCK.

Gross-Out Factor: Pretty nasty in parts--think "liquefying bodies" and "nurses attacking themselves with hypodermic needles."



Complaints: Nada. Ok--maybe I didn't 100% understand the end, but the movie was so good that I didn't so much care.

High Points: There is something to be said about Japanese horror films. Right now, Japan and China are putting out some of the best horror films on the market--American horror films pale in comparison. Infection is a case in point. The mood of this movie is creepier than any other I've seen in quite some time. The acting isn't fantastic (a bit over the top at times), but it takes nothing away from the rest of the movie. The music is BEYOND spooky. The old lady seriously SERIOUSLY freaked me the fuck out. The concept of it is not startlingly original, but they MAKE it so with the quality of their movie. The scenes are filmed real spooky. The lighting is real creeps. I could go on and on.



Overall: This movie CREEPED me the hell out. Those of you currently putting together must-see movie-lists for the month of October MUST add this on. You will not be disappointed.

Grade: A

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I just added it to my Netflix que.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

Okay, you have me convinced. I will look for it on the shelf at my local movie rental place! I agree, Japanese and Korean films, at least the ones I have seen, are head and shoulders above many of the Hollywood horror flicks. Case in point, "Tale of Two Sisters!"

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh yes--agreed about that. And Ringu and The Eye (the original).

Even better was the one I watched last night: THE ORPHANAGE. A serious serious must-see. I've not been so creeped out in YEARS.

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very excited...Infection should be arriving today from Netflix.

I agree about Tale of Two Sisters. That movie creeped me out tremendously, as well as the original Shutter.

 
At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha. That sentence made me laugh--Way to get infected through the mail by netflix! I hope it's easily curable!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home