Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Fido


--Reviewed by Lindy Loo


Plotline: Set back in the 1950s (I think?), the world is squeaky clean and chirpy, now that the zombies have been turned into constructive citizens thanks to a collar that keeps their zombie-urges in check. Unfortunately, the collar of Timmy's pet zombie Fido keeps malfunctioning, which leads to him gnawing the neck off of an old-lady neighbor. Fido has become a member of the family though, and a best friend to Timmy, so Timmy tries to cover the mess up, fearing that Fido will be sent away. The results are hilariously disastrous.



Scariness factor: It's moreso a comedy than a horror movie, but since it is a zombie flick, I nonetheless include it here.

Gross-Out Factor: Again: more comedic than scary and gross.

Complaints: Hmmm. Can't really think of any.

High Points: I thought this movie was cute and delightful, spoofy like Sean of the Dead but moreso with a focus on the silly squeaky clean movies and tv shows of the 1950s. Bill Connelly is delightful, and his zombie character seriously has to be the most adorable and endearing zombie ever to grace the screen. I found myself rooting for him throughout, and I loved that the filmmakers were actually fun enough to develop the sexual chemistry between the mom and the zombie. Cracked my shit up. Fido is actually a well-developed zombie-character, as zombies go, and that was kind of fun to see as well, especially since you kind of ended up feeling really warm and squishy towards him. It was also amusing watching a film where the presence of zombies was treated with such normalcy, especially within a 1950s-type setting. Even more fun was the soundtrack and the discordancy of its cheerfulness in comparison to the zombie activities that are taking place--fun fun.



Overall: I enjoyed this quite a bit. It was funny, and somehow weirdly cute and able to tug at your heartstrings a bit, even with the bizarre subject matter. And if you are a lover of zombie-flicks, it's definitely a must see.

Grade: A-

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"his zombie character seriously has to be the most adorable and endearing zombie ever to grace the screen."

I disagree. While I have not seen this movie yet I can not believe that any zombie could be as loved as Bub has become.

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha--how can you disagree about something you haven't even seen?

But ok--I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, since I *WAS* quite smitten with him in DAY OF THE DEAD too (see MY REVIEW... BUT you'll have to see this movie first before making that your final decision. Because Fido IS pretty damn loveable as well.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

I saw this movie last night. It was quite entertaining. I found some of the scenes a bit gross. For instance, when some the the renegade zombies would begin to gnaw on their victims. Then you would see blood all over the zombies mouth...ewww!
What I wasn't aware of was that this film was made (and parts of it were filmed) in Toronto - my city...Hurray!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home