Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Night of the Living Dead (1990)


--Reviewed by Lindy Loo


Plotline: Something strange is going on and the dead are coming back to life.

Scariness factor: Nothing too special.



Gross-Out Factor: Nothing TOO terrible.

Complaints: I didn't really have any overriding complaints--I mean, it's a zombie flick, and I heart zombie flicks. And it's a pretty good zombie flick at that. Then again, it's a remake of a DAMN good zombie flick, so that taints it just a TINY bit for me.

High Points: The special effects are great in this. And it was enjoyable cataloguing the differences between this version and the original--for example, in this version, the female lead is actual a strong character with agency, which was nice to see, as that's something that's always bothered me a bit about the original. It's also a bit more high-paced than the original. But at the same time, it kind of foregoes the interesting character development of the original to make way for this high pacedness. The difference in endings also makes this a lot less interesting as a social commentary. Nonetheless: it WAS a fun movie. I won't discount that fact. Oh, and the zombies are cool.



Overall: This is a fun flick, especially for a remake. What makes it decent as a remake is that it doesn't try to maintain the intense seriousness of the original--it has a sense of humor about itself, and in a remake of such a good movie, that kind of fends off bitter comparisons between the two.

Grade: B

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3:48 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Honestly, I like this one better than the original because the original Barbara just makes me want to beat myself in the head with her screaming and being useless.

 
At 3:52 AM, Anonymous scary pranks said...

Couldn't have said that better. Great post!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger The Professor said...

Nice blog. I just caught the remake on AMC, and I have to admit I was pretty disappointed. I'm sure I didn't get the full effect because it was edited for cable, but I just thought without the intensity of the original all that was left over was the campiness. Oh well.

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous movie scary said...

straight up classic.

 
At 2:59 AM, Anonymous scary clips said...

thanks for the post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home