Monday, January 14, 2008

Bug


--Reviewed by Lindy Loo


Plotline: An abused woman whose ex-husband has just gotten out of the joint finds solace in a kind drifter. Unfortunately, he begins to inflict his own paranoid madness on her--what starts out as a passing mention of bugs turns into a full-blown obsession.

Scariness factor: *Snort*

Gross-Out Factor: Teeth get pulled out. That's about the worst of it.



Complaints: Wow. Seriously. I've not seen such a bad movie in quite some time. The plotline was just plain old boring. Bugs infesting your body, sent by the government? Surprisingly uncreative. The acting was equally bad: Harry Connick, Jr, you need to stick to singing and/or Will & Grace, because you just can't pull off a bad-ass, friend. Harry Connick aside, the manic moments in the film were just BEYOND laughable. I felt like I was watching little kids put on a movie, and watching their interpretation of "craziness" unravel into goofbally over-the-top horribleness, which is excusable in children, but not so much in a film.

Conversation between lead actors:

Ashley Judd: How can we pull off "crazy?"
Michael Shannon: Let's throw ourselves onto the bed and writhe around a whole bunch.
Ashley Judd: Cool! And maybe then we can jump up and down on the bed wildly and scream?
Michael Shannon: Ooh! Good call!
Ashley Judd: And then I can shout "I am the super bug mother!" really loud a few times!
Michael Shannon: OMG! Seriously: brilliant. It is hard to believe you've never won an Oscar, Ashley Judd.
Ashley Judd: I know. I AM THE SUPER BUG MOTHER!!!!!

There was just *nothing* interesting about this movie. You never really develop a sense of caring about the characters. Their relationships with one another aren't convincing at all. The movie's really not all that suspenseful or interesting. I think it was *trying* to be deep, but it just failed miserably.

High Points: That it ended.



Overall: Wow. So bad. If you want to make fun of a movie, then rent it. Otherwise, stear clear.

Grade: F

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I cant even begin to express how much I dislike Ashley Judd. Terrible actress. There needs to be a movie based on her getting smacked in the face with a bag full of nickels.

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I rented the DVD for this movie - I have to admit, I was expecting something really good based on the synopsis offered on the back side of the DVD case.

Throughout the movie I waited patiently for some kind of awakening to occur - something to shed some light on all the kookiness, but it never came. I really wanted to understand this movie better. I wanted to believe that it had potential. The film did have a few compelling moments but they quickly fizzled out.

Lindyloo - I don't think that I hated the movie quite as much as your review did but I have to admit - I was disappointed. (My score: D)

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Seabird said...

I read the play which the movie is based on, which I loved. With all my acting heart.

And the screen play is written by the man who wrote the play...

I'll have to watch it to see why it's so bad.

 
At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I respectfully disagree with this review. I thought it was amazing.

 
At 3:02 AM, Anonymous scary clips said...

I thought it was a good movie, not great but good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home