Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Changeling


--Reviewed by Lindy Loo


Plotline: A man's wife and daughter die in a terrible accident, and he returns home to realize that he can no longer continue living in the house they shared without being haunted by their memory. He is a composer and heads off to a remote town to teach and hide himself away in some large, extravagant old house. Strange things begin to happen in the house, and he becomes a bit obsessed with finding out why.

Scariness factor: It has some damn creepster moments--perhaps nothing jump-in-your-seat, but it gave me chills a few times.

Gross-Out Factor: Nada nada limonada.

Complaints: The pacing was a bit slow at times. And it had its hammy moments. And the clanging noise ALMOST seemed like a cheap rip-off of the noise from The Haunting.

High Points: This is a pretty good old-school haunted house movie. It has some startlingly creepy shots. The acting is a bit over-the-top once in a while, but that's too be expected, I suppose. Nonsensicalities abound at times (with regard to plot), but you're willing to overlook them for those nice, juicy, creepy moments. And there are quite a few of those. That damn wheelchair! *Shaking my fist at it*



Overall: If you're a fan of movies about hauntings, rent this. It's a good one. It still doesn't beat The Haunting, but it's 90-minutes worth of decent haunted-house entertainment.

Grade: B

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 1:34 AM, Blogger mully said...

i so love your many blogs...

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

One of my favorite classics. Thanks for the review.

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also one of my favourites. It is a true Chiller. I used to have nightmares about that weelchair.

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mully! Sorry for the delayed response--I totally didn't even realize I had comments. =)

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

could ask in this film is there a bit where you see a wheelchair that falls down the stairs and hear banging for the bathroom where a boy was drowned

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoever it is that graded this movie can't be more than 18 to 20 years old. Only someone that young and naive would think 'The Haunting' could be better than 'The Changeling.' Catherine Zeta Jones hasn't had a worthy acting role in her miserable career, and don't get me started with that warped nosed drugged out Wilson fella! 'The Haunting' is a modern day special effects, crappy plot movie. 'The Changeling' stars the late thespian, George C. Scott. If your not familiar with him, might I suggest you see 'Patton' or 'Taps.' This movie relies on acting and plot to tell its story, not cheap, over the top special effects. If you trust this persons blogs, I suggest you get your brain scanned!

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honey honey honey--I am 30. And I was referring to the ORIGINAL Haunting. Good god, the NEW version isn't worth the toilet I crap in. Trust me, I'd be just as angry as you if I read anything that said the new version was good. Oof.

And anon #1: Yeah, that's the movie.

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous scary pranks said...

Couldn't have said that better. Great post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home