Monday, October 24, 2005

Scanners



--Reviewed by Lindy Loo


Plotline: Scanners can control people's minds and also destroy them through a simple thought. Of course this is a threat to the general human population. So one scanner who hasn't become a part of the underground scanner movement is sent to destroy Revok (one of the most despicable and terrifying scanners). Something like that.

Scariness factor: I like the idea of the movie--it creeps me out quite a bit. But there are no major jumps in it. It won't make you immediately run and turn all your lights on. It's creepy, but moreso in a sci-fi, spooky kinda way.

Originality: Movies have been made about different types of mind control (telekinesis in Carrie for example) but I'm not aware of any prior movies where people were able to make other folks' heads explode from sheerly thinking hard enough about it. Man, if I had those powers, I can only imagine how I'd misuse them. Heh heh.

Complaints: The movie is a bit sluggish. I found myself getting distracted and thinking about Halloween and October and the oncoming winter midway through it. There is a huge lull in the middle of the movie where nothing really happens except talking and stuff, and that was a bit boring.

High Points: The dude's head exploding towards the beginning--super cool special fx! Also, the end scene of the movie (the battle between scanners) is visually creepy and disturbing. And I dug that as well.



Overall: I could take or leave this movie. It wasn't bad by any means, but it really didn't knock my socks off either.

Grade: C

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 3:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome

 
At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Bruno said...

hey that's not a fair grade! this movies awesome. the "mad professor" alone gives scanners at least a b+.

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger Timothy Liebe said...

I think you let the exploding head and the climactic scanner battle let you think this was just going to be gooshy horrorshow. It's actually a great deal more than that, a fairly complex thriller with SFnal/horror elements, and an interesting sense of secret history - using the thalidomide baby scandal of the 1950s as the jumping-off point for creating a race of psychic superbeings.

I rate it much higher, myself - B+ to A-.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home