Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Terror

I have been royally busy the last few weeks and was ashamed to realize yesterday that I haven't reviewed or watched a horror flick in three whole weeks. *Bending over for a spanking*

So last night, I dragged out my Horror Classics: 50 Movie Pack and decided to watch The Terror...



--Reviewed by Lindy Loo


Plotline: An officer in the army finds that he's accidentally strayed off from the rest of the army. Trying to find his way back, he stumbles across a mysterious woman who speaks little but ends their interaction by walking into the crashing waves of the ocean. Intrigued, he attempts to discover her identity, leading him into intrigue and mystery involving a baron and his young, dead wife.

Scariness factor: So not scary. Though there WAS a good (though campy) bloodied-eye scene thrown in there, very reminiscent of Hitchcock's The Birds.

Gross-Out Factor: Again--bloodied eyeballs. That's about it.

Complaints: I picked this movie out of the bunch because it was directed by Roger Corman, had a young Jack Nicholson in it as well as Boris Karloff, and also had the uncredited directing help of Jack Nicholson, as well as Francis Ford Coppola. All of which was very much intriguing, as it would be to any film-nerd, really. But I was sorely disappointed. The movie was at best just really really boring. I didn't care about the characters at all. I really didn't care what the deal was with the mystery woman. And they tried to throw in a twist-ending, but really, it just didn't make much sense. And it wasn't even campy enough to redeem its boringness. *Sigh*

High Points: The dude getting his eyes pecked out by a falcon. Rock on! There were a couple other brief but good scenes as well, but they were few and far between. One was just a nice shot of the mysterious woman in a foggy graveyard. The other was when the old nutbag lady caught fire. Other than that, it was just damn slow.


(Yeah, that's Jack Nicholson on the right.)

Overall: This is the first really bad movie of the pack that I've seen so far. Stick to the other campier and fun ones I've reviewed--you're better off.

(I just noticed that Patrick reviewed this as well, and I'm happy to say that apparently we were on the same wavelength.)

Grade: D

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I'm glad it wasn't just me!

I have the same movie pack, and sat down to cover this for my own site, and I only lasted about 20 mintues before I had to shut it off.

There's some stinkers on that 50 Horror Classics set, but this one took the cake for me!

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the really bad Poe-ish films that used to show up on the all night monster movies on Saturday nights in the '60's and '70's...until Saturday Night Live came along and killed off the show. Most were clinkers...like this one, but there was a gem from time to time. Karloff was to be in a string of bad movies until his death, but both Nicholson and Korman went on to better things...including Nicholson's appearance in Little Shop of Horrors.

 
At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little Shop of Horrors I think is also in my 50 Movie Pack, so I'll definitely be checking that out and reviewing it sometime soon as well, no doubt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home