Monday, July 31, 2006

Damien: Omen II



--Reviewed by Lindy Loo


Plotline: It is 7 years later, and Damien is just about to hit his teen years. He appears to have no memory of previous events from the original Omen, and now he is living with relatives and going to a boy's academy. At the academy, he is introduced to the fact that perhaps he possesses more power than he knows.

Scariness factor: Scary in that 1970s sorta way.

Gross-Out Factor: Gross in that 1970s sorta way.

Complaints: I have to admit--I fell asleep for about 15 minutes towards the end of this movie, so I probably am not going to be able to give it a completely fair review. Once upon a time, I never fell asleep during movies. Now I'm turning into an old fogey and if something doesn't hold my attention well enough (or I'm just tired enough, period), I'm out. For this reason, at some point, I will watch it again and review it again. But until then, I can definitely say the following: a horrifying, bone-chilling, evil child is much much scarier than a horrifying, bone-chilling, evil teenager. Kids are supposed to be innocent and pure of anything evil, so when you see a young Damien giving an evil grin or causing someone's death, it chills you to your core. However, when you see a teenager do the same thing, it just doesn't have the same effect. Teenagers are f-ed up and demented a lot of the time, unfortunately, so it doesn't have the same hollow ring of evil. PS. Someone who reviewed this on the web said it was better than the original. I have yet to see a sequel (minus two--The Terminator and Godfather II--that even comes close to achieving this success. And this did not fall into the ranks of those two movies. You can't beat the original when it comes to The Omen series. Oh, and how in god's name could Damien be living as a teenager with no memory of his prior evilness?? This I don't understand *at all*.

High Points: Lance Henrikksen. I likey. There were also a few creepy moments, while I was still awake. And I awoke to someone on fire--a bit unsettling, yes.



Overall: All in all, it would be unfair of me to rate this movie seeing as I did fall asleep during an integral 15 minutes during the end of the film. So I shan't rate it until I watch it again, though you can at least read my comments and take them for what they're worth.

Grade: Forthcoming

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You want creepy? You want children who are pure evil? Try the 1960 original version of "Village of the Damned" (not the 1995 John Carpenter remake).

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that that one's good! I'll definitely have to check it out. My sister calls any children who are white-blond with blue eyes "villagios" b/c of that movie--heh heh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home