Thursday, October 06, 2011

The Mothman Prophecies


--Reviewed by Lindy Loo


Plotline: After his wife dies, John Klein, a reporter for the Washington Post, is drawn towards a town in West Virginia where he begins to unravel a strange web of supernatural sightings involving a "mothman" who seems to be unleashing prophecies of deaths upon the town's population.



Scariness factor: Meh. It has its moments, and my cat managed to freak me out after because I was clearly a LITTLE bit jumpy, but overall, it won't blow your mind.

Gross-Out Factor: PG.



Complaints: The interspersing of mothman imagery throughout got tedious. Not EVERY goddamn red light looks like creepy eyes, people. Other than that, I just am kind of underwhelmed by this movie. The ideas are creepy, especially the end of the film, but the way they're handled is as generic as possible. There's no unique style to the directing, no creative element to the creepiness, no mind-blowing acting, nothing.



High Points: The end scene is pretty good, though again, not mind-blowing. And knowing that this is supposedly based on true events lends an element of creepiness to the whole tale.

Overall: I saw this in the theater when it first came out, and I remember being underwhelmed by it then. But I figured I'd give it a second chance since it's been close to 10 years. But nope: still underwhelmed.

Grade: C

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home