Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Let's Scare Jessica to Death


--Reviewed by Lindy Loo


Plotline: Jessica has been recently institutionalized but has since been released. She heads out with her husband and a friend to move into an old farmhouse to further recuperate. Upon moving in, she begins to see things that make her question whether she might be losing her mind again.

Scariness factor: Seriously high-class psychological horror.

Gross-Out Factor: Campy 1970s bloodiness. Nothing too terrible.



Complaints: None. Honest to god.

High Points: Seriously, I think this may be the best movie I've watched all Halloween season, and I wasn't expecting ANYTHING out of it, to be honest. It is ridiculously haunting. It'll spook you to your very core. It gives The Shining competition in how it plays with the question of whether the lead character is losing her mind or whether there's some sort of haunting going on. It was very 1970s, but it was also really well-acted. What seriously carried the movie was the lead actress. She gave a very subtle and sympathetic performance--she was so convincing that your heart went out to her, which made all the escalating events that more terrifying. The spooky moments were horrifyingly spooky and yet completely understated. And the ending was gorgeous and beautiful and haunting.



Overall: Seriously: my favorite movie I've watched this holiday season. If you can get your hands on it, do so immediately. Totally worth your while.

Grade: A+

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger alesha said...

Hey I just wanted to say I really enjoy your webpage. I added it to my faves and plan on renting some of these movies you've reviewed (first up is the "jessica" movie). My brother (Patrick aka "five dollar beer") and I share the same love of horror films so i look forward to being a follower of your blog. Thanks!!

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm another lover of horror flicks...can never find pals to join me to watch a new horror film release.
I first watched "Let's Scare Jessica to Death' back in the late 70s when I was around 8 years old. For an 8 yr old, it was very scary and I never forgot the movie. Nobody I spoke to about it had ever heard of it either. I have been yearning to watch it again as an adult but they never play it on TV during Halloween. Glad to know it's available on DVD...Now I will have to watch it again...some 30 years later :D

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, seriously: I think it's just as damn spooky as an adult. I never saw it when little either, so I don't have those lingering spooky memories from childhood or anything that would taint my judgment.

And Alesha: Thanks so much. Give Patrick a nice friendly punch for me next time you see him. =)

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to share a movie with you that I really enjoyed. I noticed that you have not reviewed it yet on your blog - which BTW - I am thrilled to have stumbled upon...a rare find indeed. Someone else (a woman, no doubt)that has the same thirst for horror flicks like I do :D

1) The Devil's Backbone(Hispanic)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0256009/

 
At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've actually seen that! But it must've been before I started this blog, otherwise I would've reviewed it. Perhaps I'll rent it again sometime so I can hit up the blog with a review. Thanks for the recommendation!

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger beedubelhue said...

Nice blog,I'll link to it on mine,you've got champagne taste in movies!


Love,
B.W.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home