Thursday, January 11, 2007

Slither


--Reviewed by Lindy Loo


Plotline: As usually happens in the woods, a meteor plummets into the forest and turns into a strange kind of pod. Uptight husband Grant Grant stumbles across it in the woods and is infected by a strange parasitic worm. Dogs begin to turn up missing. A young woman disappears. And very rapidly, the town is infested with wormy creatures that begin to transform them into strange zombies.

Scariness factor: Not so high on the scare-factor, but I think that might be because it was fairly comedic...

Gross-Out Factor: So-so. Lots of exploding goopiness. Some blood and dead dogs. Weird worm-like creatures impaling people's belly buttons and/or forcing themselves down their throats.

Complaints: No major ones. It didn't take itself too seriously, which made it relatively campy, so kind of hard to complain about acting or silliness or illogicalities when that's the case.



High Points: The thing I appreciated the most about this movie was that it didn't take itself seriously. It isn't funny in a oh-give-me-a-break Wayans parody kind of way. It's funny in a sly sorta dry sense of humor kind of way. And that was nice. B-horror movies that take themselves too seriously tend to be more aggravating than anything else. The plot wasn't real original though, but it made for an entertaining 90 minutes.

Overall: The humor of the movie was definitely its strong-point. There's lots of crappy CGI, but that didn't bother me quite so much, simply because the movie wasn't trying to be intense and serious. I wasn't blown away by it, but I enjoyed its lighthearted goofy weirdness for the length of the hour and a half.

Grade: B

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I like my horror with more than a small dose of humor mixed in, so I just loved Slither ... I can't believe it made so little money at the box office .. I'm looking forward to that upcoming Fox show starring Nathan Fillion .. I think it's called Drive, but I'm not sure how soon it's gonna debut

 

Post a Comment

<< Home