Monday, May 12, 2008

The Mist


--Reviewed by Lindy Loo


Plotline: After a tremendous storm, a strange and inexplicable mist rolls in on a small town. A group of folks find themselves trapped in the local grocery store, fighting for their lives against the strange things inhabiting the mist.

Scariness factor: I jumped really hard in one scene. So yay for that.

Gross-Out Factor: Again, medium...



Complaints: We all knew this was coming, but my major complaint, of course, is the CGI. I was actually pleasantly surprised that I liked this movie so much, especially since I knew it was going to be heavy with CGI. But yeah: the CGI was lame in parts. I mean: do you really need to CGI mist rolling in?? I mean, is it really necessary? Especially if someone can fricking TELL it's CGI-ed? I also sort of wish they would've kept the "creatures" in the mist a little bit more mysterious. Granted, the Stephen King novella doesn't really do so. But I guess I would've still preferred it over lame CGI. Plus, some of the beings they CGI-ed I was kind of like, what? WTF kind of creature IS this? I mean, we've got spiders. Which are spiders. But then we've got weird pincer-creatures that don't seem to be a part of nature. So what's the deal? Also, I was a bit irritated that they explained away the mist so lamely. I mean, I think in the novella (it's been awhile since I've read it but) they MENTION that it could be related to goverment-stuff, but they never concretize it. I think that's what always kind of creeped me out: that you never really KNEW why the hell the mist rolled in or what it was due to.

High Points: Marcia Gay Harden was actually quite creepy and good in this. I loved to hate her character, and she added a bit of maniacal credibility to the film with her performance. I also really kind of liked the ending, despite the fact that it strayed dramatically from the ending of the novella. It really quite caught me off-guard, and it was terrible and horrifying and shocking and kind of interesting in that regard. I was actually, overall, surprised that I enjoyed this film as much as I did. I was extremely skeptical since "The Mist" has been one of my favorite Stephen King stories since I was little. So I figured there was no way in hell I was going to like it. But they did a pretty decent job with it and the sense of impending doom. I also knew that the CGI was gonna irritate the piss out of me, but it didn't bother me quite so much as I expected (probably because I went in prepared for it).



Overall: I was pleasantly surprised by this film. Much creepier (and with a strangely unsettling and kind of ballsy ending) than expected. Thanks for the recommendation, Bijoux!

Grade: B

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

LOL You're welcome Lindyloo!! I like your review (sorry I didn't intend for that to rhyme).

I am still waiting for the novella to become available to me by the public library.

I don't actually mind CGI if it is done well. But I have to say that the creatures aren't all that sophisticated and believable in this movie. I guess that is why the mist is so overdone in some scenes so you can't really determine how fake they seem. Kind of like a smoke screen. I actually found Marcia Gay Harden's performance to be scarier than the creatures...Hahaha!

Anyway, thanks again for posting about this movie and I'll keep you up to date on any other horror films I see that deserve mention :)

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was personally totally caught off guard by the ending. It left my friends and I just sitting there for the next ten minutes going, "WHYYYYYYYYYY!!". I liked the pace and the suspense, all of that tension going on, the families-are-dying factor was really intense, but the tentacles and the monsters just made me groan. They looked like something out of an RPG game my brother plays.

I just found your site and I'm really impressed! Will definitely come back for more reviews.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home